It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 02:29

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Official Braveboard top albums of 2006 
Headbanger

Hammers of Misfortune - The Locust Years (#1 by a fair distance. This was the album that finally made HoM click with me after two albums of fence-sitting. There's an otherworldly quality to the music that I just can't put my finger on, but I know that I like it!)

And the rest in no particular order:

Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Butcher's Ballroom (Makes my list on the strength of three songs only but boy, what great songs!)

Klaxons - Magick EP (My tip for mainstream success in 2007)

Celtic Frost- Monotheist (I wasn't looking forward to this at all, but it was a great surprise. A very dark album, perfect for late night listening)

Ihsahn - the Adversary ('nuff said)

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (The band have subtly changed their style over the years but the quality is always there).

The Provenance - Red Flags (A very underrated band who deserve more)

Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars (Some rather excellent black metal that managed to hold my attention while playing a style I thought I was long bored with).

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations (I was disappointed on the first listen, but then it finally clicked one day when driving.)

Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium (like a fairground ride this is exhilarating stuff, but in the same token I can only managed a few minutes at a time before wanting to get off!)

Sikth - Death of a Dead Day (Britain's best band right now)

Death Breath - Stinking up the Night (Another old-school "tribute" of sorts, but done with enthusiasm and authenticity. Early Death meets Autopsy and Entombed in a dark alley)

Necrophobic- Hrimthursum (This band are always a blind purchase for me. This new one did not disappoint)

Sleep Terror - Probing Tranquillity (This guy's technique is awesome. They should have stayed instrumental though...)

Current 93 - Black Ships Ate the Sky (these guys can do no wrong for me)

Cretin - Freakery (more old-school worship, but this time cut from the Repulsion template. Many bands have attempted to recreate the magic of "Horrified" and fallen flat on their arses. This isn't perfect but it's the closest so far!)

05 Jan 2007, 16:27
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9